Manager - Indigenous Advisory
Job no: 492699
Work type: Full time
Categories: Financial Advisory
Grant Thornton Australia is growing and we have a career opportunity for an experienced Manager to join our Indigenous Advisory team in our Cairns office.
Grant Thornton is one of the world's leading organisations of independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. We have more than 1,160 people working in offices in Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. We combine service breadth, depth of expertise and industry insight with an approachable ‘client first’ mindset and a broad commercial perspective.
Grant Thornton has over 400 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients nationally and has a genuine commitment to working in partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and businesses. We are currently expanding the services and value we bring to our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients and this presents a unique opportunity for someone to join us who shares our passion for this work.
About the Role
This is a full time role based in our Cairns office and part of our growing Indigenous Advisory service line. Working closely with our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients you will identify new opportunities and tailor our services to meet the needs of our clients. The current services include accounting, advice on native title management, cultural heritage, economic development and statutory compliance, as well as assisting with dispute resolution and corporate governance. The role requires a deep understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and the challenges and opportunities facing our clients.
You will be required to travel to remote communities and use your demonstrated experience in communicating effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to solve problems and deliver positive outcomes for our clients. Ideally you will have experience working with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community organisations.
- Operate as the key liaison with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients
- Coordinate the native title and cultural heritage work of native title and land holding clients
- Maintain and update statutory registers, minutes and records
- Organise and attend client statutory meetings, such as AGMs and consultation meetings
- Assist with the employment or engagement of workers and contractors
- Preparation of basic financial statements and tax lodgements
- General client work in MYOB, Quicken or Xero, including data entry, transaction coding, reconciliations (bank, debtors, creditors and GST) and payroll functions
- Expense claim reconciliation and monthly client invoicing
- Draft client reports and correspondence
- Preparation of high level documents, such as financial statements, reports, proposals, tenders, correspondence, client presentations, Gantt charts and organisational charts
- Respond to general telephone queries
- End to end meeting coordination including room bookings, agendas, meeting invitations and minute taking
- Maintaining our internal database
- Arranging domestic travel.
You will be agile, responsive and bring innovative ideas to our work. Ideally, you will have experience working with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people and organisations. This role will suit someone with the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Understanding of native title and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural heritage legislation
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Demonstrated understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Client focused with good relationship skills
- Strong computer skills
- Working knowledge and experience with MYOB, Quicken or Xero (desirable).
Why Grant Thornton
We support our people to develop and grow. We highly value our people and appreciate the contribution all our team make to the success of our business and to our client centric culture.
How to Apply
To apply in strict confidence, please click apply. If you want to work in a challenging and rewarding environment, we would love to hear from you.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
Please note that only direct applications will be accepted (no agencies please), and to be considered for any role with Grant Thornton Australia, you must be legally eligible to work in Australia.
If you experience any technical difficulties applying please contact the Grant Thornton People & Culture team on GTTalentScouts@au.gt.com.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend